This morning, simply walking the 3 1/2 miles from home to the Olympic Park was great. Many people smiled as I walked past, several people stopped me to ask questions or for directions (even, bizarrely, a random quiz question!), and two people (also in Olympics Games Maker uniform, and clearly headed to the same place) stopped to offer me a lift.
It didn't feel like anonymous, stand-offish London at all. If anything it felt like being back in friendly, dear old Leeds. So if this is the Olympic spirit, I want more.
Entering the Olympic Park from the Eton Manor gate, I finally got the up-close view of the Velodrome that I'd been waiting years for.
Heading south towards the white tent-like structure of the Basketball Arena, it was all sunshine and smiles(oh, and a couple of lost children - just like Oxfam steward tabards, the Games Maker uniform attracts trouble!)
Having a little walk in the nature area of the Olympic Park, alongside the river, with the Olympic Stadium in the background.
Cheering on Cav and Wiggo in the men's Cycling Road Race amongst the crowd at the Park Live floating screens (Basketball Arena in the background).
Heading into work. This is the Copper Box, my "office" for the fortnight.
Inside the Copper Box. Very few empty seats, amazing atmosphere and some great matches to watch.
Goal for GB women against Montenegro.
I'm seriously getting into the fast, frantic excitement that is Handball already. After just one day.... I know!
And as for the atmosphere, well the Olympic Spirit is rather good, isn't it? I'm loving the friendliness and the camaraderie of it all. As I mentioned above it's very "un-London". But I'm already hooked, and already thinking about how I can find a way to work at Rio 2016.
It didn't feel like anonymous, stand-offish London at all. If anything it felt like being back in friendly, dear old Leeds. So if this is the Olympic spirit, I want more.
Entering the Olympic Park from the Eton Manor gate, I finally got the up-close view of the Velodrome that I'd been waiting years for.
Heading south towards the white tent-like structure of the Basketball Arena, it was all sunshine and smiles(oh, and a couple of lost children - just like Oxfam steward tabards, the Games Maker uniform attracts trouble!)
Having a little walk in the nature area of the Olympic Park, alongside the river, with the Olympic Stadium in the background.
Cheering on Cav and Wiggo in the men's Cycling Road Race amongst the crowd at the Park Live floating screens (Basketball Arena in the background).
Heading into work. This is the Copper Box, my "office" for the fortnight.
Inside the Copper Box. Very few empty seats, amazing atmosphere and some great matches to watch.
Goal for GB women against Montenegro.
I'm seriously getting into the fast, frantic excitement that is Handball already. After just one day.... I know!
And as for the atmosphere, well the Olympic Spirit is rather good, isn't it? I'm loving the friendliness and the camaraderie of it all. As I mentioned above it's very "un-London". But I'm already hooked, and already thinking about how I can find a way to work at Rio 2016.


No comments:
Post a Comment