A trip to Finland to see my friend Emmi, and for Vappu, gave me the opportunity to visit another former Olympic host city. This time, Helsinki 1952.
The main stadium. Amongst its many uses, there's now a youth hostel underneath one of the stands.
The Olympic Tower.
The Sonera Stadium, where HJK Helsinki played until a couple of years ago (the women's team still does).
There wasn't a match on whilst I was in Helsinki, but I did get to watch a training session.
One of the warm-up pitches, again still in use, with the Helsingin Jäähalli (Helsinki Ice Hall) in the background. I saw a HIFK ice hockey game there on my last trip, a couple of years ago.
Overall, what struck me about the Helsinki Olympic site was the legacy for sport in accordance with the true spirit and aim of the Olympic movement. Venues are still being used for sport almost 60 years on. I currently have a bit of a dread feeling for London in this respect, but I really hope to be proven wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment